Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies
The goals of intravenous nutritional therapy are in essence the same as goals for oral nutritional therapy. The main difference, obviously, is the time frame, immediacy of the desired nutritional support and the intended clinical results. The principal goals for IV therapy are to:
- Bypass the bowel mucosal barrier, to avoid absorptive dysfunctions, and to deliver the nutrients directly to the tissues.
- Deliver the necessary nutrients to the tissues in optimal proportions, concurrently and for maximal synergistic effects.
- Restore the functional integrity of enzymatic pathways in chronic disorders known to result in vitamin, mineral and amino acid deficiencies.
- Eliminate the need for drugs when realistic.
- Reduce the dose of needed drugs during the early period of caring for a patient.
- Expedite recovery from acute infections.
- Provide healing tissues extra supplies of nutrients before and after surgery (times of increased demands)
What to expect with IV therapy:
- Most IV infusions take approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. High dose vitamin C or amino acid infusions can take 2-3 hours. An IV push or flush takes 15 to 30 minutes.
- There is very little pain involved except for a needle stick similar to a blood draw experience.
- Depending on the nutrients we infuse, you can experience an increase in energy, reduction in allergy or cold symptoms, or a relaxation effect.
- Many patients notice improved sleep and a sensation of calm followed by energy the next day.
- We recommend eating a regular meal 1-3 hours before having an IV infusion as some infusions affect blood sugar. If you are diabetic, you should monitor your insulin dosage and bring snacks with you to your appointment.
- Please come well-hydrate drinking 2 liters of fluid 24 hours prior to having your IV infusion, and let us know if you have any allergies.
- Complications can include site reaction, burning at the site of catheter, phlebitis, bruising at the site, allergic reaction, fatigue after initial IV due to detox effects.
Drop us a line today for a free quote!